"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-Samuel Adams

the Misanthropic Humanist:

constantinemagildahyde2@yahoo.com

17 June 2009

If this doesn't make you cringe, you are the problem. (updated)

Irregardless of whether or not ending a sentence with a preposition is one of your personal peeves, I think Western Pennsylvanians supposably say it wrong more often. So, for all intensive purposes, I was right that it's an eastern peccadillioe. Not that you need to call the calvary or anything; No need to go nucular about it. It's prolly not a big deal anyhow. Though I do admit that it can be really fustrating when people say things that bother you. Aks yourself: is it just the way people are brought up? I could care less personally, it's just an itch that I've always wanted to, you know, itch. But are we loosing any attachment to grammar, spelling, and sentence usage? Maybe it's the evils of spell-check, or perhaps people just don't spend enough time in the libary. Whatever the problem, we need a concerned effort to nip it in the butt because less and less people are good writers.

9 comments:

  1. I think you are totally disinformed. There are far less people out there that talk this way than you claim.

    What is more disturbing is the lazy spelling trend that is a symptom of the digital age. It might make u lol when ur bffl sends you a pic. But I c a problem w/ that bc this kind of speak is 4 peeps that have no respect 4 the written word.

    XO,
    Patriot Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAh! I forgot Less! How could I forget the constant avalanche of people buying 15 items or less rather than fewer! Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll have to work that one in....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't cringe and laugh at the same time! Wonder how many people will read the post and understand the intended message?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just this morning, I had a colleague fill me in with some of the "underlining factors" of a project. But don't worry..."for all intensive purposes" we're still on the "straightened narrow". Yeah...two in one sentence, and I'm not even making this up just to join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. And I assume that this colleague is "supposably" educated, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, "irregardless" and "intensive purposes" fall under my pet-peeves.

    -Western Pennsylvanian

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, irregardless isn't a word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he said, ironically

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should of visited this site ages ago!

    ReplyDelete