"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-Samuel Adams

the Misanthropic Humanist:

constantinemagildahyde2@yahoo.com

27 April 2009

Mock Ignorance

I've noticed a trend in relation to the TEA parties. It's not a new technique, but one that's becoming more painfully obvious as I pick up bits of news here and there, be it that painful video on New American's website, callers to Rush Limbaugh, or random statements from "administration officials". That trend is intentional ignorance about the movement. Now, don't get me wrong, there is plenty of normal ignorance to go around, but the particular subject that's vexing me right now is people who pretend not to understand that these protests and the organizing impulse behind them aren't about MY taxes. It is a flat out lie that everybody who makes less than $250,000 is going to get a tax cut, but even if it wasn't, I wouldn't care. Because I do not look at the government as a sugar-daddy. I don't view all taxes through the lens of what exactly it will do to my personal return, I look at fairness and any tax's effect on the entire economy. I am a huge fan of either a flat tax, or even better the Fair national sales tax, but the reality is that BOTH of those methods would raise my personal contribution. I don't care. That doesn't make me any less aware that they are more equitable and it doesn't make it any less true that they would help the country as a whole. Beyond any of that, it also neglects my personal financial benefits in a strong economy, and that I truly hope to someday make more than $250,000!

Never trust a liberal with your freedom, and never let the main stream media guide your thoughts on anything. They are pretending that they can't understand what those of us making less than a quarter of a million dollars are complaining about so that the less informed or thoughtful will think, "yeah!" right along with them. The protests are about right and wrong. They are about the size of government. They are about impending massive inflation. They are about the debt we're sinking our children with. They are about so much more than what's on my personal 1040 come next April 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment